Welcome to the new school year! I am so excited to take your children on an exciting yet rigorous journey. It is my goal for all children to become active learners with a hunger for knowledge. I will strive to instill in them the same passion for learning as I have for teaching.
Primary Goal: Meet/Exceed grade-level standards in all subject areas while thinking and acting like a scholar.
-> Language Arts:
- Students will use high-level thinking skills across the discussions
- Students will learn in groups and independently (collaboration with peers is highly stressed)
- Students will read award-winning books from our core literature library
- Students will write various multiple paragraph essays in all genres: personal narrative, expository, summary, and persuasive.
- Students will use a variety of Thinking Maps and Kaplan's Depth and Complexity Icons to organize their ideas and deepen learning
- Students will use various sources to conduct research based on Treasures' themed unit
- http://activities.macmillanmh.com/reading/treasures/ will be used for review of concepts, skills, and strategies
- Every student is expected to earn Principal's Honor Roll.
- Students will learn new math concepts by working through guided instruction, with partners, in groups, and independently.
- Students will explore math concepts through technology and the use of manipulatives and www.scootpad.com and www.tenmarks.com will be used to review concepts at home and at the Computer Lab
- Students will assess at the end of every Topic in order to provide them with in-class intervention during small-group instruction
- Science/Health/Social Studies
- Students will explore the sciences through experiments, observations, discussions, practice work, and by reading their textbooks
- Homework will be assigned and expected to be completed in order to allow students to become full participants during classroom discussions
- Darby's Science Project
- Students will be exposed to various forms of arts as they are related to learning themes across the curriculum
- Oral Presentations and Daily Oral Contributions
- Oral presentations: Students will present their work across the curriculum and justify, explain, and evaluate their work
- Daily Oral Contributions: Every child is a scholar, therefore, students must be ready to learn, reflect, and contribute their thoughts during class discussions across the curriculum
-> Computer Lab/Technology Time:
- Students will be expected to practice and improve typing skills
- Learn how to conduct research
- Use Powerpoint to create projects
- Homework must be completed daily as it will be reviewed for accuracyRoom 30's way is that we must read every day! It is my goal that students become life-long readers. Help them become passionate about reading by allowing them to read material that is of their interest (magazines, book series, etc) as long as it is appropriate and approved by you.
- Room 30's way is that we must read every day! It is my goal that students become life-long readers. Help them become passionate about reading by allowing them to read material that is of their interest (magazines, book series, etc) as long as it is appropriate and approved by you.
Typical Homework Assignments:
- 20 minutes of reading
- Writing/Research Projects
- Reading Comprehension Practice
- Math Practice
- Spelling Practice: * not always
- Science/Social Studies/Health
***Accommodations/modifications with the homework will be given on a one-to-one basis. Homework is important but it should not be torture, let's work together to ensure your child is successful.
Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible, and Be Ready to Learn
- Every student will respect himself/herself, others, and property.
- Every student will take responsibility for his/her own actions.
- Every student should portray appropriate attitude and behavior as a positive role for the younger student body.
As you can see, your 5th-grader must rise to high expectations, which I know they will. Every day, children will strive to work like a scholar. I urge you to ask your child on a daily basis, "What did you learn today?" and expect a detailed answer.
Students will never waste a minute of instruction because learning is important and time is limited. With that said, while I welcome any questions and concerns please do contact me before school or after school only. Instruction begins promptly at 8:10 am and does not conclude until dismissal. I also accept emails at [email protected]
P.S. Do you want to donate to our class? We are always in need of pencils, copier paper, white board markers, facial tissue boxes, and paper towels.